What is Meditation ?
In a stressful dark circumstance meditation is the light which is capable of clearing the darkness. Meditation is an approach to train your mind, similar to the way that exercise is an approach to train the body. Meditation clears your mind creates awareness and brings calmness and inner peace.
There are 6 popular types in meditation,
- Mindfulness Meditation
- Spiritual Meditation
- Focused Meditation
- Movement Meditation
- Mantra Meditation
- Transcendental Meditation
P.S : I will do a seperate blog on types of meditation to gain a in depth knowledge in that area.
How to get Started ?
- Find a quiet place to practice meditation
- Sit straight
- Close your eyes slowly
- Begin to breathe slowly and deeply
- Your mind should concentrate the path of your breathe that goes IN and OUT of your nose
- If you notice yourself drifted by thoughts. Then bring your focus back to the breathe
- Set a timer. Start doing it for 5 minutes a day
- Slowly open your eyes when you are done
How long you should Meditate ?
You should sit in meditation for 20 minutes everyday - Unless you're busy. Then you should sit for an hour. But it's best to start in small amount of time, even with 5 to 10 minutes and grow eventually from there.
Benefits of Meditation
- More feelings of well being
- Lower blood pressure
- Reduce Anxiety
- Improves Sleep
- Improves Blood Circulation
- Deeper Relaxation
- Helps to Focus on the present
- Increases patience and tolerance
- Increases imagination and creativity
- Helps to Gain a new perspective on stressful situation
Find a time to incorporate meditation in your daily routine. I like to meditate in the morning. Creating a daily meditation routine will always help a lot in maintaining mental health.
Keep in mind.... Patience , Perseverance and No Judgement. Be Patient with yourself, Persevere even at times you want to give up and Don't judge yourself when your mind wanders. It is often trial and error until you get it right !